Not so fancy Bucket List- Part I!

When we talk about the Bucket List, people often think about traveling abroad, getting clicked near one of the Wonders of the World, experiencing a near death moment, going on a dinner date at a Michelin two-star Restaurant, yada..yada..Why does it have to be so flashy and humongous?

Do you remember how little Charlie used to wait for his birthday every year just to get a ‘Willy Wonka Chocolate?’ Charlie reminds me how little we need to stay happy and be grateful to everything that you got, some still long for that privilege.

I started my list just a year back and chose few of the many things to share with you. There are a total of 36 points in my list for now so, I decided to divide them into two blogs (don’t wanna burden you guys). I will start with the most basic point that I needed to do in my life which was to accept myself regardless of what others said.

1.  Accept your flaws- no-one is born perfect in this world, everyone has a weakness. The point is how we manage those weaknesses to enhance your personality.

2.  Win something- as long as I remember I have been an introvert and anti-social because I was too self-conscious and assumed that people around me mocked me for my unusual behavior.

3. Volunteer- doing something for someone without any greed for a gift has another level of ‘nasha’ in it. Everyone must do it once in their lifetime.

4. Get buffed up- ever since I was born, I have been an obese girl (which fueled to my anti-social behavior) but, after coming out of my comfort zone (hostel life) I lost insignificant amount of weight as I restricted myself with one meal a day. But, soon after I realized that me being obese had nothing to do with my happiness so, as result I put on some extra pounds and I was happy!

5.  Get colored- as I remember clearly my first Holi was when I was 9 years old and after that I avoided attending any social gatherings but, I played with colors again at the hostel and with my college friends after a whole 12 years of being anti-social!

6.  Attend a friend’s marriage- even though I hated the social gatherings, a girl can never sway the thought of dressing up, to look beautiful, that one day. I had always wanted to attend a full-fledged Indian marriage with all the ‘rasam’; cherry on the top was that a friend of mine was the ‘Bride’.

7.  Feel the beat- I had always avoided outings but, since I made good friends during my college life I got to experience some of the most beautiful moments of my life.

8.  Do a girls’ night- My first ever sleepover was with my older sister and my aunt (same age as my sister) when I recovered from my fear of crowd (I am still not used to it). We had a huge serving of snacks (chips, instant noodles, boiled potato, namkeen bhujia, kurkure and some chat masala), a cup of flavored juice, a bowl of fried paneer cubes (cottage cheese), a camera and loads of giggles and gossips!

9.   Go shopping alone- You won’t believe me if I say- I never did my shopping until I turned 20! Not my fault guys, remember, I can’t stand the crowd so, my mom used to do that honor to me. During the last year of my college, I suddenly realized I don’t have enough clothes if I want to go somewhere, apart from my college. That was the moment when I discovered the joy of shopping alone.

10.  Treat yourself- I have never missed an opportunity to treat myself, I have a sweet tooth and it’s an emotional dilemma to stop myself.  So, once in a while I get dressed, go out for a treat or simply cook something for myself.

11.  Wear Traditional dress- I am an evergreen fan of traditional wears, be it a suit, Saree or any regional dress. I never miss out on a chance to wear my traditional Gurung dress whenever we are home.

12.  Travel solo- Believe me again when I say I had never even traveled 100mts from my home alone! When I got into the Hostel, dad used to travel a good 12 hours night ride in a crappy government bus just to pick me up from my hostel gate then again travel 12 hours straight back home then repeat the process to drop me back at the Hostel. It really made me guilty for his sufferings but, he used to woosh my thoughts by saying- ‘You are my little daughter, my heart beat, how can I rest assured when you are travelling alone uncomfortably?’ It took a lot of efforts but, I finally convinced dad that I am smart enough to travel alone.

13.  Get..wet..go- My first ever trip (without my family and far from a school picnic spot) was to Agra from Lucknow. I loathe the heat but, still couldn’t say no to a trip. We were welcomed with a heavy rainfall and cool afternoon that made our whole trip. The second one happened with my closest one and by far has been the most memorable and unforgettable trip of my life!

14.  Make your own clothes- Mom has the creative hands, to which I can never compare with. But as said, ‘a fruit doesn’t fall far from the tree’, I gradually managed to cut out a sample for my midi, mom liked my idea and agreed to help with stitching (as I am not a pro at stitching machines).

15.  Click the thunder- Who doesn’t want to have that one photograph that gives them the proud feeling of a professional photographer? I had my shares at that, quite a good amount.

16.  Witness heartbreak- a serious moment that everyone experiences once in their lifetime. How could God leave his favorite child behind? I had them too (not gonna share the details).

17.  Take a break- Bouncing between the anti-social and the extrovert, super friendly personality, I forgot to take rest. I was kind of lost in the moments and that’s when I realized- What am I doing? I don’t need to please others; I am not a joker to entertain others.

18.  Try a new delicacy- How do you think I maintain my alluring figure? I have this non-stop tingling on my tongue to taste food at every hour!!

  --to be continued....

0 comments

Feel free to share your reviews!